Monday, November 06, 2006

The Dishcloth and a Sock - A Tale Of Woe

Over the last couple of days I've been excitedly knitting on a pair of socks using a pattern I 'designed' which was inspired by my favorite dishcloth. I made this particular dishcloth years ago (the Lacy Mock Cable by Vauna Rae Giberson), and every time I looked at it I couldn't help but think about what a great stitch pattern it'd be for a pair of socks.

It took me a little while to turn the dishcloth stitch pattern into one which could be worked in the round and make all the necessary additions of various purl stitches so I'd have an odd number of 'cables' centered on the instep, etc. I wanted to work these socks toe up, using a turkish cast on. I wanted a toe with simple M1 increases. Also, I wanted to do a version of a heel flap since short row heels just don't fit my feet as nicely as a heel flap/gusset combo does.

So painstakingly I labored on figuring out all of this stuff, even made a chart, and proudly started knitting away. I did the feet two at a time on two circs, separated them for the flaps and gussets and decided to knit the rest of the two socks one at a time, and got many inches up the leg of one of the socks...

Here's the chart I created for the 32 stitch instep.




and then...

...today I just happened upon Purlwise's short row tutorial. The sock she's using for the tutorial looks suspiciously like the socks I just "invented." Oh my god, no. What the hell?! So, with a sinking feeling I investigate her blog and her various completed socks, and come to the dramatic and horrifying realization that I've just re-invented the Pretty Comfy Socks.

Grrrrrrrrr.


Blurry & poorly lit progress shot, taken while I was still happy

Granted my version is done toe up and doesn't have a short row heel (features a heel flap and gusset), but still. I'm annoyed since I was feeling so innovative and creative and now I just feel sad and dumb.

Bah.

1 Comments:

At 1:02 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

oh, no, you're not dumb! You didn't know anything about her socks. I was thinking, "Wow, I want to make things that way, too" as I was reading. And from reading your other posts, you sound pretty cool. :-)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home