Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Anastasia Sock - Huzzah!

So I decided the other day to start a pair of Mata Hari socks in a the lovely shade Dusk of Knitpicks Gloss. Merrily I knit along from the cuff down, row after row, never once bothering to try to slip them on over my ankle. They *looked* fine and boy, oh boy were they knitting up lightning fast. I felt such glee at the speed they were flying off my needles. Did the requisite number of rows for the heel, turned the heel, knit another couple of inches and THEN decided to try them on. Ack! I could get them over my ankle, but it was a major struggle. So I put them down. Walked away. For hours. I picked them up again. And again. Finally noticed that the heel even looked very, very short. I wracked my brain for more people I know with tiny feet that deserve a pair of handknit socks. Unfortunately I only could come up with two deserving folks with itty bitty feet and I've already made them socks.

After debating with myself all day, I finally just quickly whipped the needles out and frogged this:



Bad Mata Hari sock. Bad.

I decided to cast on another sock right away with the Gloss and chose Anastasia. And voila! Here's one completed sock.



I don't have the words to express how absolutely delighted I am with this totally simple toe up sock pattern. I knit this sock in just two evenings. (This is my record for sock speed knitting.) I did make some minor adjustments to the pattern, including using a turkish cast on, adding a couple of extra short rows in the heel, and adding a purl row after the toe. (I like how the start of the eyelets look butted up against the raised purl row.)

I love love love the turkish cast on. It's the first time I've ever tried it and now I'm a convert. I can't imagine starting a toe up sock any other way now that I've done it this way. Kudos to Fluffy Knitter Deb for posting a lovely tutorial.

Also, I'm estatic that I've finally managed short row heels without gaping holes (or even tiny holes!) AND the knit side and purl side are identical! I used Misocrafty's technique and it's freakin' brilliant.

The other day I ordered some Artyarns Supermerino for a pair of Thuja socks from Sarah's Yarns. Because I'm a first time customer, Sarah included color cards for all the yarns she carries. I wasn't expecting that and totally tickled when I opened the package. These yarns are gorgeous. Gorgeous, I say. My mother was with me when I got the package and she couldn't stop fondling the little strands of cashmere and silk. Now I've need to find a good shawl pattern and order some more from Sarah ASAP.

1 Comments:

At 6:47 PM , Blogger Debi said...

Hi Lisa! Thanks for visiting! I'm so glad you liked the tutorial, it's comments like yours that make me smile for days :)

Lovely socks here and lovely knitting!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home