Friday, October 06, 2006

Socktoberfest Questions Answered

When did you start making socks? Did you teach yourself or were you taught by a friend or relative? or in a class?
I started making socks over a year ago when I discovered that it wasn't necessary to use DPNs. I saw Cat Bordhi's "Socks Soar on Two Circular Needles" in my LYS and couldn't resist buying that, along with 2 sets of Addi Turbo size 1's. I taught myself from the book.

What was your first pair? How have they "held up" over time?
Sadly, the selection of sock yarn carried by my LYS is/was meager and I wound up with some Regia Cotton Surf in a fairly clownish colorway (5412 incidentally). I made a pair of silly looking ankle socks. I still wear them, and while they're sort of stretched out looking, they're comfy when it's too warm to wear wool but cool enough that you feel like you need something on your feets.

What would you have done differently?
I would have been less impatient and ordered some better and more attractive sock yarn from the internet.

What yarns have you particularly enjoyed?
I really love KPPPM, Lorna's Laces Shephard Sock and I'm totally digging Knitpicks Gloss. I'm just dying to get my hands on some Socks that Rock.

Do you like to crochet your socks? or knit them on DPNs, 2 circulars, or using the Magic Loop method?
I did crochet one sock. Notice I didn't say 'pair.' I did it in Woolease and it was just horrid. I actually found it the other day when I was doing a major decluttering and just tossed it unceremoniously.

My method of choice is definitely 2 circulars. I'd been partial to Addi Turbos, but I did recently order some of the new Knitpicks circs in size 0 and I love love love the pointier tips and the cable is lovely, too. Since I somehow managed to dent one of my size 1 addi's by running it over with my desk chair (don't ask--I have no idea how it ended up on the floor), I'll be replacing my 1's with the Knitpicks needles.

Which kind of heel do you prefer? (flap? or short-row?)
I've tried all kinds of methods for doing short row heels and I just can't seem to make them look neat, so I definitely prefer heel flaps. At the moment, I'm partial to the Eye of Partridge Heel with a 3 stitch garter border.

How many pairs have you made?
Not really sure, but I hope to complete about 6 or 7 more pairs by Christmas!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home